Julie Snider in her home studio
I come from a strong artistic background. My late father, Dr. Murray Wertman, was a dentist and famous locally for his beautiful black and white photographs. He taught me to look at things with an artist’s eye, and to appreciate the little things. My father’s passion for photography had a tremendous impact on my artistic development, as I became a keen observer of nature and began to draw and paint at a very young age due to his influence.
Sadly, just as I was graduating from high school in 1970, my father passed away. I chose to follow his passion and enrolled in a fine arts program at Sheridan College, in Oakville, Ontario. In 1974 I graduated from the Graphic Design program, met my husband John, and began working as a graphic artist. We soon married and began a family. While at home raising my boys, Murray and Ben, I discovered my passion for watercolour and began to paint whenever I could find the time and energy.
My first solo exhibit was in Perth, Australia, where John was doing in a year- long teaching exchange. Able to concentrate exclusively on painting while away with my family, I returned home to St. Catharines with a large portfolio of watercolour and have been painting at a steady pace ever since.
My work hangs in collections in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney, Australia and in Canada, United States, Great Britain and Israel.
In 1999, I won Niagara’s Peter Harris Award. Today I continue to participate, with great success, in many jury shows throughout the province. My images have been published by Posters International, which are sold worldwide. I have had many one-woman shows at locations such as the Pumphouse Art Gallery, Chateau Des Charmes Winery, the Epicurean Restaurant in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Henry of Pelham Winery, in Jordan, and Balzac’s in the Distillery in Toronto, along with yearly shows I hold in my home studio in St. Catharines.
I receive great pleasure when teaching aspiring artists. And apparently the pleasure is mutual!
Solo & Group Shows
- Gravenhurst Outdoor Art Show, Gravenhurst
- Art by the Lighthouse, Niagara On the Lake
- Walkers Point Community Centre, Gravenhurst
- A. H. A. Gallery, St Catharines
- the St. Catharines Club, St. Catharines
- Studio Art Tour, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- The Niagara Pumphouse Visual Arts Centre, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Chateau des Charmes Winery,
- Pow Wows Restaurant, St. Catharines
- Henry of Pelham Winery, Jordan
- Epicurean Restaurant, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Stables Gallery, Port Dalhousie
- Oakville Art Society, Oakville
- Hillebrand Winery, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Botanical Gardens, Niagara Falls
(Parkway Artist Guild)
- Pelham Art Show, Fonthill
- Roselawn Art Centre, Port Colborne
- Rodman Hall Art Centre, St Catharines
- Grimsby Art Festival , Grimsby
- Balzac’s Coffee, The Distillery District, Toronto
- Montreal Tenements chosen for St. Catharines Art Association Calendarin in support of Rodman Hall Art Centre, St. Catharines Ontario
- “The Peter Harris Award” Rodman Hall Art Centre Jury Show St. Catharines, Ontario
- "Best in Show” Lincoln County Jury Show, Beamsville, Ont.