Julie Snider comes from a strong artistic background. Her late father, Dr. Murray Wertman, was a dentist and famous locally for his beautiful black and white photographs. He taught her to look at things with an artist’s eye, and to appreciate the little things. Her father’s passion for photography had a tremendous impact on Julie’s artistic development, as she became a keen observer of nature and began to draw and paint at a very young age due to his influence.
Sadly, just as she was graduating from high school in 1970, her father passed away. Julie chose to follow his passion and enrolled in a fine arts program at Sheridan College, in Oakville, Ontario. In 1974, she graduated from the Graphic Design program, met her husband, John, and began working as a graphic artist. Julie and John soon married and began a family. While at home raising her boys, Murray and Ben, Julie discovered her passion for watercolour and began to paint whenever she could find time and energy.
Julie’s first solo exhibit was in Perth, Australia, where John was teaching in an exchange for one year. Able to concentrate exclusively on painting while away with her family, Julie returned home to St. Catharines with a large portfolio of watercolour and have been painting at a steady pace ever since.
Julie’s works hang in collections in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney, Australia and in Canada, United States, Great Britain and Israel.
In 1999, Julie won Niagara’s Peter Harris Award. Today, Julie continues to participate with great success, in many jury shows throughout the province. Her images have been published by Posters International, which are sold worldwide. Julie has had many one-woman shows at locations such as Pumphouse Art Gallery, Chateau Des Charmes Winery, the Epicurean Restaurant in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Henry of Pelham Winery in St. Catharines and Balzac’s in the Distillery District of Toronto, along with yearly shows she holds in her home studio in St. Catharines.
solo & Group shows
- Gravenhurst Outdoor Art Show, Gravenhurst
- Art by the Lighthouse, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Walkers Point Community Care, Gravenhurst
- A. H. A. Gallery, St. Catharines
- The St. Catharines Club, St. Catharines
- Studio Art Tour, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- The Niagara Pumphouse Visual Arts Centre, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- 13th Street Winery, St. Catharines
- Chateau Des Charmes Winery, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Pow Wows Restaurant, St. Catharines
- Henry of Pelham Winery, St. Catharines
- Epicurean Restaurant, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Stables Gallery, Port Dalhousie
- Oakville Art Society, Oakville
- Hildebrand Winery, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Botanical Gardens, Niagara Parkway (Parkway Artist Guild)
- Pelham Art Show, Fonthill
- Roselawn Art Centre, Port Colborne
- Rodman Hall Art Centre, St. Catharines
- Grimsby Art Festival, Grimsby
- Balzac’s Coffee, The Distillery District, Toronto
- “Montreal Tenements” chosen for St. Catharines Art Association Calendarin, in support of Rodman Hall Art Centre, St. Catharines, ON
- “The Peter Harris Award” Rodman Hall Art Centre Jury Show, St. Catharines, ON
- “Best in Show” Lincoln County Jury Show, Beamsville, ON